Sunday, November 11, 2007

Knitting 102

As I mentioned back on Nov. 1st, I had taken a free knitting class at my local library... I attended Knitting 101 on Oct. 27th where I fine tuned the basics (casting on and the knit stitch)... Well, I was also able to attend the Knitting 102 class on Nov. 10th! I finally learned how to purl! It was wonderful being able to share my newfound passion with the wonderful ladies that I met there. Thanks to Bonnie Bogden and Jan for doing an awesome job of demonstrating the techniques that they use and for the free knitting needles and yarn! Thanks also to Fringe A Knitting Salon for donating some of these yummy yarns! I will definitely have to pay them a visit!

Just click on any of these images to see the LARGER pictures "zoomed in"!


There were also plenty of books to check out for a novice knitter such as me! So of course I took several of them! I really like "The Cool Girl's Guide to Knitting" by Nicki Trench... It has a couple of really cute patterns/ideas in the back for making a needle carrier and a knitting bag! I also checked out Funky Knits: Knitting Know-how for Hip, Young Things which has some really cool projects!


Jan and Bonnie also brought plenty of their finished works to share with us! From sweaters to gloves and baby hats, they were all pieces to spark my creativity! I of course loved the display of scarves in all the different colors and textures! So many options... so little time!


Class in progress! Yes that's me clicking away in the first photo... (I'm sitting at the corner of the table, in the tan shirt, wearing glasses)... I'll actually miss getting together with this group... We should have exchanged contact info so that we could meet-up again sometime! If any of you ladies from these classes find this blog, contact me!


Last but definitely not least, I asked Jan to model the beautiful "Prayer Shawl" that she had knitted... I got the instructions from her and plan on knitting one myself... I also found the instructions online at the Prayer Shawl Ministry Homepage. This is an awesome way of combining compassion and the love of knitting/crocheting into a prayerful ministry and spiritual practice which reaches out to those in need of comfort and solace, as well as in celebration and joy. Many blessings are prayed into every shawl.

What an inspiring 2 hours I spent at each class... I look forward to hopefully attending the next class whenever it is offered... I may even look for a knitting/crochet group to join (or start my own). What a wonderful way to share a passion and weave new friendships at the same time!

No comments: