Monday, September 3, 2007

Knitting task completed!


Here it is! I did it! I know, it's only a 6"x3" rectangle, but what a feeling of accomplishment for someone that had never touched knitting needles before! I taught myself the "bind off" yesterday, and called it a night. I don't know what my first real knitting project will be, but I definitely want to try making something. Maybe I'll start with a simple scarf.
But until I decide on that, I've got plenty of crochet projects to keep me occupied! My step-mother's mom passed away earlier this year, and my step-mom inherited an antique crocheted afghan. Well, needless to say, it's seen better days! She called me to ask if I thought it could be repaired. When I saw it, I knew I had my work cut out for me. I'd never attempted to restore an afghan before. There are several gaping holes in it and lots of areas where it has come unraveled. The yarn is very old and heavy, probably wool. And there's no way that I'll find anything that matches perfectly to the colors. But I accepted the challenge. So we were off to Hobby Lobby with afghan in tow. It's a multicolored throw made of granny squares that have been sewn together. In my next post I will share some photos with you of my work in progress. This may take awhile! But my step-mom says that she has always loved the colors and the memories that the afghan holds. She definitely doesn't want to throw it out. So I'm on a mission to restore and preserve a piece of family history, and make it worthy to pass down to the next generation!

No comments: