Saturday, September 1, 2007

Crochet vs. Knitting

Is there really a war going on? I read an article titled The age-old battle continues: Crochet vs. Knitting. Who will win? at the Crochet Insider website. (click the link, then scroll all the way down to find the article)
I myself have always crocheted, but have been very curious about knitting... So is it okay for a crocheter like me to also want to learn the way of the needles? I've never actually known anyone that knits and it has always looked so difficult to me! Well, my curiosity got the best of me today... While at the library I went ahead and picked up Debbie's The Knitter's Handbook... I was already a fan of her Crochet book, but every time I've seen her knitting books I've felt a bit left out. There's something intriguing about the way she writes. Do the "chicks with sticks" have something that I don't? I had to find out! So... this evening I pulled out the only sticks I have! A pair of chopsticks! Can you imagine? I'll actually post photos tomorrow... I'm just too tired to download them right now... Using her book I taught myself to "cast on" (which is the first step and gets the first set of loops on your needle) and then I learned the knit stitch! I actually got really excited! I couldn't believe that I did it! What a feeling of accomplishment! So, I had my husband take a couple of photos of my very first attempt in action.
To be continued...

No comments: