Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Knitting Daily and the Free Pattern - Slouch Rib Cardigan

If you don't already subscribe to Knitting Daily's editorial e-mails, it would be well worth it for you to check it out! Today's post included a free pattern for the Slouch Rib Cardigan, which sparked quite a discussion on their comment board! The skill level is classified as Easy and can be made with negative, zero or positive ease, for either a slouchy fit or a more close-fitting fit.
Here it is depicted both ways.

Sandi (the editor) in the Slouch Rib Cardigan
wearing the sample garment with about 1.5 - 2" negative ease


slouchy with positive ease on the model

The pattern is a fast knit, thanks to size 10.5 needles and a bulky weight yarn. Plus, there's nothing harder than a k2tog and picking up stitches, so it's a great first sweater pattern. This may end up being my very first attempt at making a sweater just because of how easy it should be to knit up. But I do think it's a bit too tight on Sandi and a bit too slouchy on the model. Hmmm... wonder if I can find an in-between ground?
There's well over 50 comments already posted to the site... and what a variety of opinions on the topic of whether it looks better with positive or negative ease. Quite humorous comments at that!
  • Lynette from Germany commented "Could you have found an uglier pattern?..."
  • Katy commented "Sandi, the cardi looked a little too floppy in the original photo for my taste, but it looks *FABULOUS* on you."
  • Nancy f commented "I think this is an incredible unattractive sweater no matter what the ease. The problem is the neckline doesn't look like it fits, and the ribbing does not match up on the front. With so man wonderful patterns at IK to choose from, I wonder why you chose this one."
  • Brittani from AZ commented "I have to say that I love it with the negative ease! I just downloaded this pattern today, but I wasn't sure how it would look on me as I am definitely bigger than the model, but now I can't wait to start this, thanks for showing us Sandy."
That gives you a taste of how the comments are rolling in at Knitting Daily's website.
So... what do YOU think? Leave me a comment here and let me know your opinion on the matter! Let's see if we can get some heated comments going over here as well! LOL

No comments: