Friday, March 28, 2008

Knit Houses?

I ran across these photos on Make Magazine's blog. What does the concept of a knit house tell us? Do we need shelter and warmth? These houses were actually knit as art projects over the last few years. Andrea Tung also blogged about these on her Making Things blog. She makes some interesting observations on the subject of knitting and how it's popularity is expanding into other forms of expression. "It's fascinating to see how knitting has been adapted for purposes other than a sweater. And it's become more talked about in general. For example, occasionally on the CBC, I would hear a story about knitting. I hope to see knitting become something as common as golf or gourmet cooking." I would also like to point out that the craft chain stores are declining. Yet the local boutique craft suppliers seem to be thriving. What is this saying about the relationship between craft and society? I think eventually we will be coining the phrase "luxury craft".

Pictured above: from the recent Knitting Site in London, the walls are knit from garbage bags, old plastic bags and rope.

Pictured below: "Cozy", by Janet Morton

"And while some people think knitting is to remain behind walls, we build walls that are knitted."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much Christine for stopping by my place and leaving such heartfelt thoughts. It has been tough, but people like you sharing is what has made it more bearable for me. Sorry to hear about your baby Chloe, she must have really been sweetheart.

Wow, these houses are pretty cool and would solve the housing crisis! Talk about finger cramps!

Bay Area Knitter said...

I'm glad I was able to help... It's so heartbreaking to lose a beloved pet. Yes Chloe was my little sweetheart...
I hope you are feeling a little better now. I know it's hard though...